Get your brunch game on with this uber-indulgent and mouth-watering french toast. French toast is a very iconic breakfast staple and this version is made even better by stuffing it with bacon and cheese! The contrasting flavours of the maple syrup-drenched french toast, the slight tang of the berries and savoury bacon and cheese complement each other well and will definitely make your tastebuds very happy.
Time: 30 minutes
Recipe by: Adrian Richardson
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 9 slices short cut bacon
- 1 loaf day old bread
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Julienne 3 slices of bacon and place in a bowl with cheddar cheese and stir to combine. Season generously with pepper.
- In a different shallow bowl use a fork to combine milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Cut a slice almost all the way through a loaf of bread and then a second full slice directly behind it. This creates one piece of bread with a pocket in the centre. Stuff the bread pockets with the bacon and cheese mixture and then dip in the egg mixture to make French toast.
- Put butter into the Tefal Frypan over medium heat. Toast bread for a few minutes on both sides until golden brown and the cheese has melted in the centre.
- Meanwhile grill the remaining 6 slices of bacon on the Tefal Grillpan over a medium-high heat until crispy.
- Top the French toast with bacon, a pinch of brown sugar, fresh berries, a drizzle of maple syrup, mint and a dusting of icing sugar.